|Membrane Oxygenators Market 2022 Risk, Industry Upstream, Forecast And Cagr – 2030|
Membrane Oxygenators Industry Overview
The global membrane oxygenators market size is expected to reach USD 141.5 million by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 1.5% from 2021 to 2028. Key factors expected to boost the market include the growing prevalence of respiratory failures and cardiopulmonary diseases. Furthermore, there has been a rise in the number of patients suffering from COVID-19 and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which can require membrane oxygenators for treatment, enhancing their adoption. Technological advancements in medical devices are expected to further propel their demand in hospitals.
Membrane Oxygenators Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global membrane oxygenators market based on type, application, age group, and region:
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into Hollow Fiber, Flat Sheet.
- The hollow fiber membrane oxygenators segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 63.4% in 2020. Hollow-fiber membrane oxygenators consist of a high number of fibers, with semi-porous walls and central lumen with holes large enough to move water through.
- The flat sheet membrane oxygenators segment is the second largest segment with promising growth opportunities. These membrane oxygenators do not have holes in the membrane wall and depend on the permeability of plastic material, which allows gas transfer through the membranes.
- Flat sheet membrane oxygenators need flushing of the air outside the membrane with a soluble gas, including carbon dioxide, to avoid air trapping in a section with blood.
Based on the Age Group Insights, the market is segmented into Neonates, Pediatrics, Adults.
- The adult segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 56.2% in 2020. In the case of adult cardiac failure, the main indication that specifies the need for membrane oxygenation is cardiogenic shock.
- Advancement in membrane oxygenator technology has increased its application in the treatment of adults. Technological advancements include advanced designs, pump-less veno-arterial extracorporeal gas support devices, double-lumen cannula, and respiratory dialysis, which further drive segment growth.
- The neonate segment is anticipated to exhibit considerable CAGR over the forecast period. A membrane oxygenator is commonly used to manage neonates with respiratory and cardiac failure. According to the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) registry report 2017, ECMO patients include 44.8% of neonates, with around 40,000 neonates treated with ECMO globally.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Respiratory, Cardiac, ECPR.
- The respiratory segment dominated the membrane oxygenator market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 51.8% in 2020. Membrane oxygenators are commonly used to treat patients suffering from severe respiratory diseases, such as respiratory failure.
- They are used in pulmonary hypertension, respiratory distress syndrome, meconium aspiration syndrome, respiratory failure, and severe pneumonia, which indicates high applicability. In the case of respiratory illnesses, membrane oxygenators serve as artificial lungs, thus playing a critical role in supporting pulmonary function.
- The ECPR segment is likely to expand at a lucrative CAGR of 1.9% from 2021 to 2028. Centrifugal pumps integrated with hollow fiber oxygenators are used in ECPR. Various risks of this type of application are intracranial hemorrhage, which may prove to be fatal; reperfusion injury that may lead to sepsis; multiple organ failure; and/or neurological injury.
- The other risks include vascular injury, which may cause bleeding complications and functional cannula failures, impeding segment growth.
Membrane Oxygenators Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Product launches, strategic acquisitions, and innovations are major strategies adopted by the market players to retain their market share.
Some prominent players in the global membrane oxygenators market include
- Fresenius SE & Co KGaA
- Getinge AB
- Terumo Medical Corporation
- MicroPort Scientific Corporation
- Nipro Medical Corporation
Order a free sample PDF of the Membrane Oxygenators Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Email: [email protected]