The Philippines has seen significant growth in internet penetration over the years. In 2021, the country had an estimated internet penetration rate of around 60%, with millions of Filipinos accessing the internet, be it for leisure or business outsourcing use.
Filipinos are one of the most active internet users in the world. Google is their preferred search engine.
In recent years, news and events have become the most searched-for category on Google Philippines. This is likely due to Filipinos wanting to stay informed about current events, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Other popular categories include games, music, celebrities, entertainment, platforms, sports, and government services.
Some of the most popular search terms on Google Philippines include:
- News and events: COVID-19, election results, natural disasters
- Games: Mobile Legends, Axie Infinity, Genshin Impact, Angry Birds, DragonNest, MemoryHackers
- Music: OPM songs, foreign pop songs (Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars), lyrics
- Celebrities: Local and international – Dolphy, Whitney Houston, Vhong Navarro, Hayden Kho, etc.
- Entertainment: TV shows (The Voice Teens and Idol Philippines), movies, streaming services (Netflix, Jeffrey Dahmer), The Miss Universe pageant
- Platforms: Social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr), video streaming platforms (YouTube), Omegle, e-commerce
- Sports: Basketball (Gilas Pilipinas, NBA), boxing (Manny Pacquiao fights v Hatton, V Broner, v Ugas), Hidilyn Diaz
Another interesting trend is that Filipinos increasingly use Google to search for information in their native language. In 2021, searches in Tagalog and other Philippine languages accounted for over 30% of all Google searches in the country.
In addition, mobile is the preferred device for internet access in the Philippines. In 2021, over 70% of all Google searches in the country were made from mobile devices. This is reflected in the popularity of mobile games and other mobile-related searches.
Overall, Filipinos’ search habits continue to reflect the changing digital landscape. Celebrities, entertainment, and sports remain perennial favorites, highlighting the nation’s diverse interests. As the world of online search continues to evolve, it will be intriguing to see how the Filipino digital footprint changes in the future.
You can learn more with this tool below by digital marketing services Philippines-based agency, Spiralytics.
Provided by Spiralytics