Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Industry Overview
The global infectious disease molecular diagnostics market size was valued at USD 32.4 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.0% from 2020 to 2028.
The growth can be attributed to the growing use of molecular diagnostics in infection detection, the rising geriatric population, and the increasing demand for point-of-care molecular diagnostics. The outbreak of COVID-19 is anticipated to act as a key driver.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Market
The global geriatric population is increasing. Over 727.0 million people globally were categorized in the age group 65 and above. The geriatric population is more susceptible to COVID-19 owing to multimorbidity, decreased immune function, and physiological changes associated with aging. According to CDC in 2021, 80% of COVID-19 related deaths were among people aged over 65. Thus, this group has to be tested continuously to avoid severe infections, which creates growth opportunities for molecular diagnostic tests in regions such as Russia, Japan, and the U.S. that have the highest elderly people globally.
The infectious disease molecular diagnostics test menus cannot afford to be static or superficial due to the diverse nature of infectious diseases and the building resistance of causative agents. For instance, the coronavirus outbreak in China was declared a global health emergency by the WHO in January 2020. RT-PCRs and sequencing tools were used in the identification and characterization of the virus.
An increase in external funding to conduct clinical studies in infectious disease molecular diagnostics is expected to drive the market. Funding plays a significant role in the product development process. For instance, in October 2019, Sense Biodetection Limited received an investment of USD 16.85 million for POC molecular diagnostic development with an initial focus on infectious diseases such as influenza diagnostics.
Browse through Grand View Research’s Clinical Diagnostics Industry Research Reports.
- Point-of-Care Molecular Diagnostics Market – The global point-of-care molecular diagnostics market size was valued at USD 1.72 billion in 2018 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 14.4% over the forecast period. Increased need for accurate and faster testing methods and results for the molecular tests is expected to propel the market growth.
- Infectious Disease In Vitro Diagnostics Market – The global infectious disease in vitro diagnostics market size was estimated at USD 113.61 billion in 2021 and is expected to decline at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of – 7.4% from 2022 to 2030. The decline in CAGR is only due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, infectious disease in vitro diagnostics (without the impact of COVID-19) is expected to expand at a CAGR of 5.1% from 2022 to 2030.
Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global infectious disease molecular diagnostics market based on product, end use, technology, application, and region:
Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics End-use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Diagnostics Laboratories
- Research Institutes
Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Technology Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- In Situ Hybridization
- Isothermal Nucleic Acid Amplification Technology (INAAT)
- Chips and Microarrays
- Mass Spectrometry
- Transcription Mediated Amplification
Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Respiratory Diseases
- Gastrointestinal Tract Infections
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Drug Resistance Diseases
- Other Infectious Diseases
Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- February 2021: BD announced the launch of its Influenza A+B and SARS-CoV-2 in a single test with a CE mark. The product received a EUA from FDA in the same month.
- December 2020: Bruker Corporation announced the launch of a winter four-plex PCR panel called FluoroType that can detect RSV, Flu, and SARS-CoV-2.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global infectious disease molecular diagnostics market include
- Danaher Corporation
- bioMérieux SA
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Hologic, Inc. (Gen-Probe)
- Illumina, Inc.
- Grifols S.A.
- Siemens Healthineers AG
- Sysmex Corporation
Order a free sample PDF of the Infectious Disease Molecular Diagnostics Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Email: [email protected]
Follow Us: LinkedIn | Twitter