North America Wheelchair Industry Overview
The North America wheelchair market size is expected to reach USD 1.7 billion by 2028, registering a CAGR of 7.9% over the forecast period, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. This is largely due to an increase in the adoption of advanced, compact, and portable mobility aids on account of the growing target population in the U.S. Rising geriatric population is most likely to create higher demand for mobility products, such as wheelchairs. As per the U.S. Census Bureau, mobility is the most common disability among older Americans. 61 million adults live with a disability in the U.S. out of which, 13.7% have mobility disability with serious difficulty walking or climbing stairs.
North America Wheelchair Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the North America wheelchair market based on product, category type, application, and country:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Manual, Electric.
- The manual product segment dominated the market with a revenue share of more than 60% in 2020. The manual wheelchair is the most common type of mobility assistive device that assists the disabled and geriatric population.
- According to the WHO, over 610 million (10%) people worldwide have disabilities, with approximately 10% (61 million) of them using wheelchairs. Around 20% of women and 17% of men in the U.S. have some form of disability, indicating that one out of every four American women is disabled.
- The electric product segment is anticipated to witness the fastest growth rate of over 8% from 2021 to 2028. Electric wheelchair manufacturing is witnessing numerous technological innovations.
Based on the Category Type Insights, the market is segmented into Adult, Pediatric.
- The adult category type segment dominated the market with the largest revenue share of over 84% in 2020. This is due to the fact that the majority of disabled people in the U.S. are between the ages of 18 and 65 years. According to the CDC, 61 million (26%) adults in the U.S. have a disability, with 13.7% of those disabilities being mobility-related.
- The proportion of the population aged 65 years and above is projected to increase from roughly 12% (35 million) in 2000 to nearly 20% (71 million) by 2030, implying that demand for adult wheelchairs or mobility-assistive equipment will certainly rise in the future.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Homecare, Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs), Rehabilitation Centers.
- The rehabilitation centers application segment led the global market in 2020 with the largest revenue share of more than 34% of the global revenue share in 2020. This is largely owing to the fact that mobility equipment, such as wheelchairs, are mostly utilized as a part of rehabilitation programs for those recovering from surgery or injury.
- The hospitals application segment is anticipated to witness the fastest growth rate of more than 8% over the forecast period due to growing patient visits in these healthcare settings. The main objective of hospitals is to stabilize a patient, not to offer long-term care.
North America Wheelchair Regional Outlook
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Market players are undertaking various strategic initiatives, such as the signing of the new partnership agreement, collaborations, mergers & acquisitions, and geographic expansions, to enhance their product portfolio, improve manufacturing capacities, and gain a competitive advantage.
Some prominent players in the North America wheelchair market include
- Karman Healthcare, Inc.
- Carex Health Brands, Inc.
- Drive Medical Design & Manufacturing
- Medline Industries, Inc.
- Quantum Rehab
- GF Health Products, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the North America Wheelchair Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Email: [email protected]