When passengers fill out their tickets with the wrong initials, they cause themselves problems. If these mistakes are not corrected on time, they can lead to inconveniences. Every airline offers a way to change the name on your ticket for easy boarding.
Southwest Airlines offers the same name change service where you can change your initials.Customers can easily correct or change their names by following Southwest Airlines Name Change Policy.
Guidelines for Southwest Airlines’ Name Change Policy
Southwest Airlines tickets must be corrected according to the following guidelines:
- If a traveller wishes to transfer ownership of a ticket to another individual, they must cancel the Southwest flight and rebook the flight.
- There is no way for a traveller to change their name. Therefore, the first, middle, and last name can only be changed by a few characters.
- In total, a passenger is allowed to correct a name up to four characters, including the first, middle, and last names.
- Name changes can only be made under legal circumstances such as divorce or marriage.
- It is required that the customer’s name matches the name on the government-issued identification card.
- Travellers can change their name once.
- For a legal name change, a passenger must provide proper documentation to the airline.
- Southwest will be allowed to change the name of its flight segment in the case of an interline or codeshare agreement.
- Southwest name changes require passengers to select their seats again once the process is complete. Customers cannot swap seats between old and new PNRs.
Change of name on Southwest Airlines ticket
Before requesting a Southwest Airlines name correction on your ticket, consider the following:
Ticket Issued Before
- As per Southwest Airlines’ policy, a passenger’s first name, middle name, and last name can be corrected up to 4 characters each, not 4 characters per first and last name.
- Southwest Airlines’ name change policy counts the title and the correction of space between the first, middle, and last names as part of the four character correction.
- Changing the Passengers Type Code (PTC), date of birth (DOB), gender, or adding an infant would not be considered under name change policy and would be treated as a regular reissue request.
- Southwest Airlines reservations can be contacted for all name correction requests over four characters.
- A valid legal document is required for all Southwest change names after marriage requests.
When the ticket is issued
- Southwest Airlines’ Name Change Policy prohibits the transfer of tickets once issued, and names cannot be changed except in cases of legal name changes, such as divorce and marriage.
- Southwest Airlines may only change the name on the ticket under the legal purview through its contact number. Rapid Rewards account numbers and photocopies of legal documentation will be required from passengers as well as any other information requested in order to reflect the new legal name.
Southwest Airlines Accepts What Types of Name Change Requests?
As a general rule, Southwest Airlines accepts flight name change requests in the following circumstances:
Fix Misspelled Names – Southwest Airlines allows corrections when a customer makes an error when booking a flight.
Does your passport match the name on your Southwest boarding pass?
Southwest passengers can’t travel with a misspelled name on their boarding pass. In order to avoid future hurdles, your name on your boarding pass must match your government-issued ID. However, if your middle name is missing, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Southwest’s legal name change
In the Southwest Airlines name change, no transfers or full changes are permitted, except those that fall under legal considerations. If there is sufficient documentation, marriage, divorce, or court order changes are welcomed and processed accordingly. However, only the last name can be changed even then.
Name correction documents required by Southwest Airlines
Southwest requires the following documents to change the name on tickets:
- In case of marriage, a marriage certificate/license will be issued.
- A divorce decree, certificate, or court order.
- A legal name change affidavit.
- For proof of the old name, use old government-issued photo ID cards.
- Documents to prove the new identity.
- Passports must reflect the changes.
Southwest Airlines: How Do I Change My Name?
Southwest Airlines name changes can be requested online or by phone –
Online name change for Southwest
Follow these easy steps to change Southwest name on a ticket –
- Go to southwest.com and click on ‘Manage Booking’.
- Click on the ‘Retrieve booking’ button after entering the six-digit booking reference and last name.
- To request a name correction, click the ‘Change name’ button on the next page.
- There is a name change option available for the Anytime and Business Select fares.
- There is a limit of four characters per first, middle, and last name. The count of four characters is not understood as a count of four characters per first, middle, and last name.
- If there is a fare difference, you will be asked to pay the name change fee.
- Passengers will receive a new confirmation once the request is completed, and they will need to re-check in and select seats.
Changing Southwest’s name over the phone
- All name change requests can be completed by calling our customer service department.
- While you speak with the airline representatives, keep your six-digit booking reference handy.
- If you want to change your name, the agent will require photocopies of legal documentation or any other information that reflects your correct name.
- It is possible to correct up to four characters on the first name, middle name, or last name. Please note that the four characters on the first name and last name are not the same.
- Southwest Airlines charges a name change fee along with any fare difference.
- After the request is completed, passengers will receive a new confirmation, and they will have to complete check-in and seat selection again.
Change of name via compliant page on ticket
In Southwest Airlines’ name change policy, the compliance page provides information about passenger complaints and can be used to submit requests.
The steps for using this method are as follows:
- Visit Southwest Airlines’ contact us page first.
- Second, use the Email Us option.
- Third, fill in the flight details on the form.
- The fourth step is to upload the supporting documents.
- Finally, wait for an email response.
Name change fee for Southwest
In the event that you need to correct the name on your Southwest Airlines booking within 24 hours of making it, you will be charged a fee of $150, and you may also need to provide proof of identity, such as a legal document.
Southwest Airlines charges $200 to correct a ticket’s name up to four characters within 24 hours for a $200 fee. If a name change is made, the ticket will be reissued and rebooked in the highest class in the same cabin. This is if it is still available. The difference in fare will be charged if the ticket is reissued in a higher service class.
Can I edit name on flight ticket
the tickets are non-transferable, hence, name changes on a confirmed reservation are not permissible. You will need to cancel your ticket and book a new ticket with the new passenger’s name. Cancellation charges, if any, will be applicable accordingly.
Southwest Costs to Change Name on Ticket: Tips to Avoid
There is no charge for minor name corrections made by Southwest. However, we cannot underestimate the possibility of name errors during the booking process due to unforeseen circumstances. You should consider the tips listed below while booking your Southwest flight ticket to change the name.
- If you fill out your information yourself, you can avoid name errors.
- Make sure the name you enter during booking matches the name on your government-issued identification.
- It is always possible to make a mistake, even if you are very confident about the information you have filled in. Double-check your information.
- Before submitting your details, please check them once.
- If you find an error in your flight confirmation mail, you have 24 hours to make significant changes for free.